Monday 17 October 2011

Observation for Pratchett readers

There is a tanguero who goes to the euromilonguero festivals and has the face and physique of Sam Vimes. Not the ones he has in the not-quite-there cover illustrations. The ones he ought to have. Some of you are sure to know exactly who I mean. He doesn't smile very much. His natural expression is a dignified gravity. So you notice it more when he does smile. He has light-coloured eyes which sometimes look blue. He dances beautifully. He walks. He travels with a rather glamourous lady.

I can't help asking myself if he ever has to ask the same question Sam Vimes asks about half way through Night Watch, the one that starts in a conversation with the Patrician's aunt and ends "I could have done with it then"? But it's not really a question you can ask. Least of all when you've just been dancing tango and you don't have a language in common to any level of fluency. Other than tango.

5 comments:

Melina Sedo said...

I've been thinking about this post, but I don't get who you mean... You HAVE to tell me!

msHedgehog said...

I'll ping you ;)

Andreas said...

There is indeed a certain likeness. :-)

Melina Sedo said...

By the way: I told him. Not WHO compared him to Vimes, but THAT he was compared to him. He found it quite amusing, although he did not know Pratchett.

msHedgehog said...

@Melina haha - I thought probably not a reader x