Thursday 28 July 2011

Lily Allen

I was going to say something else, but I've just been listening to part of Test Match Special from the second day of the first Test against India: their tea-interval interviewee is Lily Allen.

She's into Test Cricket. Her husband plays village cricket every Sunday. And I just noticed that her attitude to cricket reminds me of mine to tango. (This is not an exact transcript as it's just too hard to control the slider that rewinds it)

Aggers: ... you have been coming to the games, you've been watching Sam get the odd wicket, and a few runs here and there - do you - Test cricket takes a long time to get into.
Allen: I'm thinking this is a long term commitment - and you know, hopefully, when I'm a member of the MCC ...
Aggers: Are you on the list?
Allen: I think today I've been added to the list.
Aggers: Have you!
Allen: yeah, six years till I'm an associate member or something ...
Aggers: Yeahh ... gosh ... I mean ... you'll be nearly fifty, you'll be fifty-five! Now this'll cheer you up - you'll be my age, Lily! Before you're a full member
Allen: Are you a member yet?
Aggers: Yes I am a member
Allen: Just! hahaha
Aggers:Yes, just! for one year! You'll be my age
Allen: Oh well, that's fine, I'll have had a good innings. - I think, you know, I want to learn a lot more about the game but I'm not pushing myself, I'm into cricket, I've made the commitment, I love cricket, I'm into cricket, I love being part of it ... This PR company have taken over the twenty-twenty, and they sent me an email, "We've taken over the marketing for twenty-twenty, will you come to some matches! it's a more glamorous version of Test Cricket with a more carnival atmosphere!", hahaha ...
Aggers: And how did you respond?
Allen: Not interested! Sorry!

She's not in a hurry, but that doesn't mean she's not serious.

And she's learning to knit! "I'm so not rock and roll any more". Rubbish. Cricket is rock and roll.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly can't believe there is a tanguera watching cricket. How unusual. England will win this one I think, India is too weak this time 'round.

msHedgehog said...

Why wouldn't we? Lots of people watch cricket. Although actually I just listen, as I don't have Sky.

msHedgehog said...

... although, to be fair, you don't have to be THAT into cricket to like Test Match Special.

It seems quite evenly matched to me; certainly a very exciting series. But India have suffered worse from injuries so far, and their legendary players are past their peak.

It seems quite reasonable to me that the same sort of person would like both. I mean, we're not talking about 20-20 here. We're talking about the real thing.